Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Head Boy

After three weeks in America, a lot has changed, especially Jason. Now he knows how to read (Thai, of course). One day Poo was talking to the mother of one of his classmates who said, "that's so good that the teacher made Jason the Class Leader."

"WHAT?" said Poo, "Jason never told me that."

Later she asked him, "Jason, did the teacher make you Class Leader?"

"Yes," he answered, nonchalantly.

Poo then told me the story -- she said, "the teacher appointed Jason the Class Leader -- what do you call that in English?"

"We call that Teacher's Pet."

"No way!" objected Poo, "he's not a pet -- he's the Leader -- the Boss!" She seems proud of this feat.

"What do you call it in Thai?"

หัวหน้าห้อง (hua-naa-haawng) she said, which literally translates as "head-face-room."

"That's weird," I said.

"
หัวหน้า means leader, so it means leader of the classroom -- it's GOOD!" she proudly declared. The teacher wouldn't give it to him unless he is smart and responsible . . . . he has to tell the other students when to stand and say 'GOOD MORNING TEACHER' and stuff like that."

"Well, maybe you can call it Head Boy in British English but in America we call it Teacher's Pet -- we don't like those kids -- when I was a kid, I always sat in the back with my friends and murmured about the Teacher's Pet -- "look at that fool! He thinks he's better than us! I can't wait to get out to the playground -- we'll show him who's the Boss!"

Poo frowned her disapproval. I will never understand Thais.

No comments: