Thursday, January 3, 2008

Dogs, Cats, Mice, and . . .

We are enjoying a "cool spell" (by Thai standards) at the country house. The evenings require a sweater and the nights require a blanket.

In my house I don't have mice. I heard them making noise once and complained, so Poo brought over the cat from her house to mine. Now the mice are gone. I prefer dogs to cats and I show the cat no love. The poor cat has trouble dodging the dogs, but this is countryside life.

Last night I didn't sleep too well because the dogs were barking like crazy. Obviously, they detected an intruder. What kind of intruder? an elephant? a wild dog? a cobra? I will never know.

Recently, Poo's father killed a cobra on the property. I knew nothing about it until it was dead.

"Didn't you hear it at night? the hissing?" Poo asked.

No! I am a city boy, and it's just a cacophony of jungle noises to me. She informed me that her father killed the cobra, with a shovel, about ten feet from her house. "It was trying to get the mice," said Poo, speaking of the unwelcome visitors in her house.

I'm glad I've got that cat!

No comments: